Thursday 16 October 2014

NIHILISTIC CRISIS / EXISTENTIAL CRISIS




'You're actually having a nihilistic crisis more than an existential one.'

These were the words my friend helpfully (so much sarcasm) replied to me last night when I told him -
'Help. I'm spiralling into a bottomless pit of my reoccurring existential crisis.' 
(both the literal quotes.)
Now lets take in that it was about 2 AM and instead of sleeping I was lying awake, listening to the Submarine soundtrack (amazing movie / unbeatable soundtrack by Alex Turner) and pondering the normal philosophical questions - What is the meaning of life? What is our purpose on the earth? 


Nihilism is a firm belief system that the world, life itself, has no real meaning or purpose. So although similar to an existential crisis, a nihilistic one would be the definite belief or realisation that life has no meaning. An existential crisis is you beginning to question the point behind existence and its more the general pondering (that I seem to constantly do about everything) than solid beliefs.

At the moment we've come to the agreement that it was a misunderstanding and neither of us were wrong. (I know the truth.)

No comments:

Post a Comment